3 Workouts for Toning Your Bum
If you’re looking to train and tone your butt, then you’ll need to activate your glutes. Not only will strong glutes give you a peachier posterior, but it also has implications for the rest of your body too. Underworked glutes can lead to overworked hip flexors, which in turn can cause lower back pain and poor posture. The bad news is that it takes work, and a lot of dedicated time, but the good news is that almost all exercises that target your glutes can be done at home or in the gym, and with or without equipment. For even better results, add one of our mini strength bands into the mix and always support your workout with our Essential BCAA Formula.
How to do a Squat to Calf Raise
As well as targeting the muscles on the back of the lower legs and your calves, this move strengthens your glutes and inner thighs too.
- Stand with your feet slightly wider than hip-width apart.
- Keeping your spine straight and your core engaged, lower yourself into a squat, bringing your thighs as parallel to the floor as possible.
- Squeeze your glutes then come up to standing before rising onto the balls of your feet.
- Lower yourself back down into a squat to complete the move.
- Repeat for 15 reps.
How to do a Walking Lunge
Great for toning your bum but a great lower body exercise too. Walking lunges work on strengthening your glutes, hamstrings, quads and calves as well as inner and outer hips and thighs.
- Stand firmly on the ground with both feet hip width apart.
- Step your right leg forward then lower your body so that your right knee is directly over right ankle and your left hip is directly over your left knee.
- Squeeze your glutes then push up so that you’re standing on your right leg.
- Lift your left knee to chest.
- Place your left leg on the floor in front of you.
- Swap sides and repeat the exercise on the opposite side.
- Repeat for 15 reps on each leg.
How to do a Glute Bridge
If your glutes are weak then other muscles must compensate, which can lead to lower back pain and poor posture over time.
- Lie on your back with feet flat against the floor, keeping your knees bent.
- Squeeze your glutes and lift your hips off the floor until your body forms a straight line from your knees to your shoulders. Pause then lower yourself back down to where you started.
- Repeat for 15 reps.