3 Moves for Stronger, Leaner Arms
Don’t lose sight of your goals just because you can’t get to the gym. If one of yours is to work on strengthening and toning your arms in time for (hopefully) a summer of fun, then incorporate these 3 exercises into your daily workout routine. All you need is a pair of dumbbells and space to flex and you’re good to go.
As the name suggests this is especially adept at strengthening the triceps but also helps work the delts (the rounded area of the shoulder), as well as traps (the muscle that runs from the back of the head down to the back) and your forearms.
- Begin by sitting on a chair. Hold on to the front edges of the chair with both hands and edge your bottom forward until it’s hovering off the seat of the chair. Ensure your legs are at a 90-degree angle and that your arms are straight.
- Still holding on to the edges of the seat, lower your body until your elbows mimic a 90-degree angle. Hold then slowly begin to straight your arms back out until your body is back in the starting position.
- Repeat for 15 reps.
Dumbbell floor press
Good for your triceps, shoulders and chest.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and both feet flat on the floor. Ensure your elbows are tucked in and that your back is flat. Hold a dumbbell in each hand and bring your arms up towards the ceiling. Ensure your palms face each other.
- With control, bend your arms and bring the dumbbells down across the nipple line until your triceps touch with floor. Keep your abs and glutes tight as you do this.
- Reverse the movement and return to your starting position.
- Repeat for 15 reps
Plank with row
Great for working the biceps and shoulders as well as helping to strengthen the upper back.
- Begin by getting yourself in a plank position, holding a dumbbell in each hand on the floor, directly underneath your shoulders. Ensure your shoulders and hips are square.
- Bring your left elbow up so that your left wrist approaches your ribs, then lower. Repeat on the other side.
- Repeat for 15 reps on each side.
Maximise your results with these essentials