What Are BCAAs?
Amino acids are compounds that form protein in the body, helping to build cells, create muscle tissue, support the immune system and promote energy production. They also help reduce muscle soreness and so are an essential part of proper post-workout recovery.
Amino acids can be classed into three groups: essential, non-essential and conditional, and the body needs a balance of all of them in order to maintain good health and normal functioning. BCAA, or branched chain amino acids, refers to three of the essential amino acids: leucine, isoleucine and valine. They differ from the other essential amino acids in their structure, which, as their name suggests, is chain-like.
When we exercise, protein levels need to remain high because energy levels can rapidly deplete. Creating protein is also essential as it’s what helps to promote muscle maintenance and growth. Although it seems counterintuitive, exercise actually depletes amino acids, which means we need to recoup them in order to recover optimally.
Workshop’s Essential BCAA Powder has been formulated specifically with post-workout recovery in mind. It contains three branched-chain amino acids, leucine, isoleucine and valine, a trio chosen for their prowess in helping prevent muscle loss, support muscle recovery and trigger protein synthesis. It also contains L-gluthamine, an amino acid which aids muscle growth and recovery but is especially adept at reducing gut inflammation and repair the gut lining, something which can easily become damaged when exposed to too much alcohol, prescription drugs, or processed foods.
Essential BCAA Powder at a glance:
• L-Glutamine – an essential building block of the gut lining. Helps to lower sugar cravings. Enhances recovery from workouts.
• L-Leucine – stimulates the process of creating lean muscle. Helps to regulate blood sugar levels.
• L-Isoleucine – Essential for producing red blood cells, which boosts endurance.
• L-Valine – promotes muscle repair. Helps to regulate the immune system. Promotes mental vigour and muscle coordination. Promotes emotional calmness.
• Stevia – natural plant sweetener that provides antioxidants .
For best results, take before, during or after your workout. Add approximately 2 heaped teaspoons into water and mix well.